As with other cities in the region, the stillness prevailing in GORICE today (access from Udine and Trieste) contrasts with the lush past. The castle dominating the historic center was once the seat of the Dukes of Gorizia, who ruled the region for four centuries. After their fall, Venice ruled the city for some time (at the beginning of the 16th century), then the Habsburgs ruled here. They ruled the city from Vienna up to 8 of August 1916 r., when the Italian army took them, which was soon wrecked at Caporetto. The border system after the Second World War literally cut houses in Gorizia in half. Italy kept the city proper, but lost its eastern edge to Yugoslavia, where the new regime decided to build its own Gorizia: the result is Nova Gorica. Inscription NAŚ TITO, painted in huge letters on a hill overlooking the city, it also dates from the period of building socialism, although this part of the hill is in fact in Italian territory.
The face of the city, just like Trieste, it is clearly Central European, marked by the reign of Empress Maria Theresa. Numerous parks and gardens - blooming in the mild microclimate of this region - further enhance the atmosphere /?/! of siecleu. It is also, like Trieste, the main supply point for Slovenes, which explains the existence of both the enormous number of electronics stores, clothes and food, as well as good cafes and restaurants.
One of the most beautiful neoclassical buildings is Palazzo Attems in Piazza De Amicis, where nowadays there is a picture gallery and city archive. The building is closed "per restauro" until further notice, which is unfortunate, because there are some good works in the gallery, e.g.. altar painting by Antonio Guardi. Information on the renovation progress can be obtained from the tourist office in Galleria del Corso 100. Museum of History and Art (wt.-nd. 10.00-12.00 i 15.00-18.00) located in Borgo Castello, the district built around the castle by the Venetians; the collection of local folk arts and crafts is enough for about half an hour of exploring, and the views from the castle are inviting.
Perhaps the strangest monument in Gorizia is the crypt in the Franciscan monastery, w Castagnavizza, or rather Kostanjevica, because the monastery is located abroad, in Nova Gorica. It is the burial place of the last Bourbons. When during the bloodless revolution in July 1830 r. Ludwik Filip was deposed, The Bourbons were expelled from France; w 1836 r. the family eventually came to Gorizia and, with the consent of the Habsburgs, settled there. Judging by the lofty entries in the guest book, the silence of the crypt is regularly disturbed by French royalists, who lay bouquets of flowers against the walls. The French state must have an opinion, that the republic is strong enough already, to withstand any monarchist pressure, because it reportedly expressed interest in bringing the royal ashes to the country. The monastery was the residence of brother Stanisław Skrabec (1844-1918), a famous Slovenian linguist, and in the counting 10000 The library volumes contain a rare copy of the first Slovenian grammar with the author's signature, Adam Bohorica (1584). The easiest way to get to the monastery is by taking a taxi after crossing the border, preferably on foot to come back. After reaching the monastery, you must press the bell at the entrance; Entrance is free, but it is fitting to be sacrificed upon entering.